The Center for the Advancement of Rights and Democracy (CARD), under its Media Literacy Program, in collaboration with Internews’ INSPIRES Project, plans to implement a research project focusing on legislation related to media space in the last three years. The study will assess major changes and evaluate the practical implementation or effects of the legal changes in the media landscape. It also aims to identify challenges faced in the implementation of the legislation and put actionable recommendations for critical stakeholders to overcome them. The study should also identify opportunities for advocacy.
To this end, CARD wants to hire a research consultant or team of consultants to conduct a “review of the implementation and impact of existing/newly introduced media legislations and laws in Ethiopia” and invite all qualified candidates who fulfill the following requirements.
- Advanced university degree (MA, LLM) in law, political science, international relations, media studies, journalism, and communications or other related social science fields.
- Minimum 5 years experience in designing and undertaking similar research works such as program strategy development, and demonstrated experience with research and participatory methods.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting media-related studies including media law studies and reviews.
- Proven experience in conducting media research for local and international media development organizations
- Well-grounded knowledge about the political economy of the media in Ethiopia and experience working with key stakeholders.
- Ability and willingness to participate in meetings for feedback and reflection sessions with CARD
1. Development of inception report for the study
2. Submit the first draft of the study for review by CARD’s expert/team
3. Submit the final report
1. A half-day validation workshop for key media stakeholders
a. Reporting the findings of the study, focusing on the major changes in the media legislation, gaps, and practical application
b. Suggest actionable recommendations for advocacy on the legislation and media reform to participants based on the results of the study.
c. Facilitate a feedback session on the findings of the study and areas of intervention.
2. Validate the study and incorporate different suggestions into the final report.
Interested and qualified applicants should send the following documents to email@example.com no later than 30 December 2022, with the subject line “Application for media legislations review”.
- Links to similar previously accomplished works
- Registration, tax clearance, and other documents if the applicant is a firm or team of consultants.