Name: – Ermias Tsegaye Tedla
Age: – 25 years old
Address: – Addis Ababa
Current situation: – held in Qilinto prison
The reason why I am jailed: – I was arrested for my political view differences and for my peaceful political participation with opposition parties.
Prosecutor’s official charge against me:- Federal prosecutor charged me of violating Article 7(1) of the Anti-Terrorism Proclamation (ATP) with ten other defendants under the charge file of Tinsaye Berisso.
The following rights violations are committed against me in prison:-
A. During my prison stays in Maekelawi for four months:
- I was badly beaten in front of my mother during the arrest.
- I was arrested without any arrest warrant.
- I was beaten many times during interrogation.
- I was interrogated at past mid-nights.
- Interrogators threatened and harassed me multiple times.
- They insulted me.
- I was held incommunicado for weeks.
- I was held in dark and cold room.
- They forced me to confess and sign on a paper that was later brought as evidence against me.
B. in Qilinto prison
- I was held in dark room for three months.
- I was being held with no access to family and legal aid for months.
- I experienced insults and harassments.
- I was born in Addis Ababa.
I attended my primary and secondary schools in Addis Ababa. And I have also attended Dire Dawa University after high school. I was living with my families until I was arrested.
I was a member of Unity for Democracy and Justice (UDJ) Party. I was arrested multiple times for participation in opposition political parties. I was also arrested on April 2015 when the government arrested many that took part at Meskel Square demonstrations in Addis Ababa to condemn the terror attacks on our citizens in Libya by the ISIS terrorists.