The Center for Advancement of Rights and Democracy (CARD) is a board-led, non-profit organization registered in Ethiopia under the revised Civil Societies Proclamation 1113/2019 with registry number 4307. CARD envisions to see a democratic Ethiopia and has a mission of echoing principles of democracy to make it the rule of the game in the country.
CARD believes in the importance of promoting human rights values at the grassroots level and for the young generation in order to mitigate inter-communal conflicts in the short term and create a popular human rights movement in the medium and long term. Among these platforms is the “New Generation Human Rights Defenders” (NGHRDs) project which targets interested high school students and offers them human rights training with an aim of bringing up a new generation of human rights defenders to make human rights a popular movement of the youth. CARD started the implementation of NGHRDS in 2021 and offered human rights training to 364 high school students in Addis Ababa.
CARD recently planned to expand this project to 20 schools (10 from Addis Ababa and 10 from four regional states’ cities)
In this framework, CARD is looking for a consultant to conduct a Baseline/needs assessment studies of the project “New Generations of Human Rights Defenders”. This baseline study is conducted to identify schools and localities where the NGHRDs project should focus in 2022.
Purpose, Objective and Scope of the Consultancy
The planned assessment is a need assessment study that will consist of a baseline assessment and mapping of the need for grassroots works of human rights in different localities of Ethiopia.
(1) OBJECTIVE: The objective of the overall project is to map the need for grassroots works of human rights in different localities of Ethiopia and identify schools to select trainees on the basics of human rights values.
(2) TARGET: 20 schools (10 from Addis Ababa and 10 from four regional states’ cities)
(3) SCOPE OF WORK
As the first stage of this project, a baseline study will be conducted. This will entail a need assessment of basics of human rights values, the need for human rights training, the status of human rights work in different localities, assess challenges of grassroots human rights work in selected regional states, identify schools to select civics and ethical education instructor across the 20 schools in different regions of Ethiopia.
The consultant will independently carry out the baseline needs assessment study. The consultant will develop a methodology that will include but will not be limited to the development of questionnaires to be administered physically, site visits, interviews and desk reviews. Major stakeholders including the regional state education bureau, public schools in the stated regions, civic and ethical education teachers.
The consultant will work independently in conducting the baseline study. Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Strategy planning and data collection:
- Prepare and submit a strategy outline for the need assessment baseline Study on Mapping the need for grassroots works of human rights in different localities of Ethiopia to identify schools and localities where the NGHRDs project should focus in 2022 for approval.
- Identify 20 schools (10 from Addis Ababa and 10 from four regional states’ cities)
- Identify possible conflicts of proposed project with the enabling environment and powers of other institutions involved in the educational sector as well as recommendations on how to foster cooperation amongst all stakeholders concerned with this project.
- Identify civics and ethical education teachers to take the TOT training.
- Develop, distribute and retrieve questionnaires or survey instruments to stakeholders.
- Data Analysis:
- Highlight the status, challenges of the need for grassroots works of human rights in different localities of Ethiopia
- Identify challenges for implementing this project
- Identify the type and number of schools and civics teachers where it is important to conduct the TOT training.
- Prepare and submit a draft Baseline Study Report to CARD.
- Address comments and submit the final baseline Study Report to CARD.
- Attend meetings related to the project.
- Present the findings of the analysis at stakeholder consultative meetings, if mandatory.
- Any other ad-hoc duties that may be assigned by CARD with regards to the assignment.
EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES
The following are the expected outputs of this assignment;
- Approved Strategy outline for Baseline Study
- Questionnaires or survey instruments (for different stakeholders)
- Results of Questionnaires or survey instruments (for different stakeholders)
- Draft Baseline Study Report
- Final Baseline Study Report
DURATION OF WORK
The expected duration of this assignment is 5 weeks after the signing of the contract with CARD.
TERMS OF PAYMENT
The payment is delivered in 3 tranches.
25% will be made when survey instruments are approved by CARD, the other 35% is made when the draft baseline study report is submitted to CARD, and the rest 40% is made when the final baseline study report is approved by CARD.
The consultancy will be based in Ethiopia. The consultant should be available to travel within Ethiopia for this assignment.
- Sensitivity to cultural, gender, religion, and age differences
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty
- Self-starter, proven ability to work independently and in an entrepreneurial setting.
- Strong motivation and ability to work and deliver under pressure and short deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate well with CARD and other institutions involved in this project.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: being able to listen and collaborate with a wide range of players, being able to work independently, being proactive and taking initiatives
The consultant must possess:
- A minimum of Master’s degree in law, public policy, or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in research, and report writing of the similar projects.
- Good drafting, substantive editing, and reviewing the ability of research documents.
- Excellent knowledge of Affan Oromo language is an Asset.
Interested applicants need to submit their CV, concept note and financial application before April 14th, 2022 via email@example.com.