Call for Media Research Consultants
Two consultants are required for the development of a media landscape review and model conflict-sensitive editorial policy.
Terms of Reference
The Center for Advancement of Rights and Democracy (CARD) is a board-led, non-profit organization registered in Ethiopia under the revised Civil Societies Proclamation 1113/2019 with registry number 4307. CARD envisions seeing a democratic Ethiopia and has a mission of echoing principles of democracy to make it the rule of the game in the country.
CARD, under its Media Literacy Program, has been engaged in different activities that promote media freedom, media literacy, and the safety & professionalism of journalists. In continuation of these activities, CARD is launching a project to promote conflict-sensitive reporting at the editorial policy level. To this end, CARD will develop a report on the review of the media landscape in Ethiopia in addition to a baseline survey on the editorial policies to develop and promote a model (benchmark) conflict-sensitive editorial policy document for both independent and public media outlets.
Therefore, CARD is looking for a consultant to conduct a media landscape review and another consultant for the development of the model Conflict-sensitive Editorial Policy (CSEP).
- The major activities expected from the consultant for the media landscape review are:
- To study recent developments in the media space in terms of legal and practical changes.
- To conduct a census of certified and active media outlets and their human resources.
- To conduct capacity analysis of media and journalists’ associations.
2. The major activities expected from the consultant for the model conflict-sensitive editorial policy are:
- To conduct a baseline study about editorial policies and their practical implementation in Ethiopia.
- To conduct desk research on conflict-sensitive reporting issues.
- To draft a model or benchmark CSEP to be promoted for the use of media outlets.
- Lead focused group discussions with media experts, leaders, editors, and reporters for the validation of the drafted CSEP.
- Lead mainstreaming events of the final CSEP to media houses.
Essentials and desirable experiences
- The consultants must have the requisite academic qualifications, preferably MA in media studies or equivalent research experience.
- Previously proven work experience in the media landscape and editorial policy development.
- Strong analytical skills, nuanced understanding of contemporary sociopolitical context, and positive engagement skills.
Interested individuals are required to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Letter of motivation (why the applicant wants to apply for this specific call)
Potential firms or individuals are requested to submit all the necessary documents via email@example.com by Monday 16th of January 2022 from the date of this announcement.